NY – Winter time is family time in NYC. If you get an early start you can enjoy even the most touristy destinations during peak season and live to recommend it — here’s a fun way to spend a classic New York winter day with the family:
1) Start off at FAO Schwarz for Breakfast with a Toy Soldier. These exclusive 45-minute tours take place one hour before the flagship opens and are led by one of the store’s iconic toy solders. While there you’ll learn about the history of FAO, get a chance to play on the giant piano, enjoy a continental breakfast and even load up a bag full of FAO Schweetz candies!
2) Now make a beeline to Central Park’s Wollman Rink, just five minutes north of the W 59th and 6th Avenue entrance, to enjoy a morning skate before the crowds take over. If you don’t want to take a chance on the lines, upgrade to the Holiday VIP package, which includes skate rentals, use of the heated rinkside VIP tent, snacks (including hot cocoa) and use of a locker. And if you need to sharpen your skills, take a lesson!
3) You will most certainly be ready for a nice lunch by now and The Plaza Food Hall by Todd English in the lower Concourse level of The Plaza Hotel really has something for everyone. Enjoy a dine-around selection of cuisine from 9 stations: Ocean Grill & Oyster Bar, Noodle & Dumpling Bar, Pasta Bar, Sushi Bar, The Grill, Taqueria, Pizza, Cheese & Charcuterie, Wine Bar and Patisserie–and, they offer a great kids menu too! Don’t wing it, make a reservation to secure your lunch table. There are also other local vendors at the Plaza Food Hall who offer counter and grab and go food and desserts.
4) Eloise at the Plaza – While still on the subterranean Concourse level, stop in at the Eloise at the Plaza boutique. Have tea with Santa throughout the month of December or click here for other year round events.
5) Then stroll down 5th Avenue, check out the windows, including Barneys, Bergdorfs and Saks. If it is a Sunday, stop in to visit the Santa on the 7th floor at Bergdorfs for a visit and complimentary photo and snack and be sure to impress upon your little ones how fortunate we are to be in such an incredible city!